The plight of farming families slammed by Cyclone Gabrielle flood, slip and other damage has drawn a ready response from other farmers, ag businesses and urban Kiwis.
The Farmers Adverse Events Trust is an independent charitable trust set up by Federated Farmers. Its givealittle page dedicated to raising money to help farmers get back on their feet after Gabrielle was at $151,000 by March 1. People willing to make a donation can head to www.fedfarm.org.nz
Here’s just a sample of the goodwill messages donors left on the givealittle page:
- Thinking of all farmers in the Hawkes Bay at this time. Just can’t imagine what you are going thru and the pictures are beyond belief. xx
- Ex farmer been through Bola. Hawkes Bay preference.
- Farmers are the backbones of New Zealand. We like to support the Farmers in Hawke’s Bay to recover and continue doing what they do best. Thank you for all you are doing. ($5000, Uzin Uts South Pacific Ltd)
- I can only imagine the toll this tragedy is taking on our farming community. I live in a rural/lifestyle area near Napier and have seen a small part of the damage. It is truly heartbreaking.
- Dear Farmer & Growers, Our hearts go out to you. Thinking of you and wishing you well on the road to recovery. Hopefully our donation will go some way toward helping you. J & K, retired farmers.
- Nature has been harsh but be strong
- Look after each other. One day at a time.
- We are feeling for you guys, from the deep south (Sgt Dan Stockfoods, $5000)
- Without you guys the country is stuffed!!! Thank you for all that you do!